[Magdalen] Games with bills

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 23:51:06 UTC 2014

Scott the Younger has been doing much better lately with depression,
thanks to the evaluation, revision of his med regimen, and ongoing
meds management he's been receiving from Rush University Medical
Center (as opposed to the exhausted, burnt-out psychiatrist he had
been seeing).

The Rush folks are out of network for our insurance, but they still
cover 60% (rather than 80% for in-network).

No sooner had I settled accounts with Rush, paying what they've billed
us so far on the basis I just mentioned, than I receive a new
Explanation of Benefits from the insurer showing that a bunch of that
stuff is not covered, needs medical necessity review, or benefits are
not available. We've got an intermediary service called Accolade whom
we're invited to call with any questions about an EOB.

Am I right in my inclination to just let this ride for now and not
stir the pot, wake the sleeping dog, or do anything else metaphorical?
I'm thinking that asking a question might trigger something I'll wish
I had shut up about. I'll pay a bill if it turns out I have to, but
seems to me they've already been paid by our insurance and by me, so
let's all move on. I can ask a question later on if they decide they
want to bill me for the rest ($310).

Another part of me thinks this will all catch up with me anyway and I
should be ready to pay the rest. Then it's a matter of figuring out
whether and how future stuff can be covered rather than paying it all
out of pocket.

Fun for a Friday! Not.

--
Scott R. Knitter