[Magdalen] Cameron, a third grader

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Sat Oct 25 16:44:54 UTC 2014

Our new phone number was on file for a student at Dunmore Elementary School.

After several robo calls,I got a human being and told her it was the wrong
number. She promised to fix it. A few days late, the robocalls continued -- and
after yet another promise to fixit ("You don’t want these calls at 5 AM on Snow
Days") it STILL didn’t get fixed.

So I called the Superintendent of school -- naming names of the people who
promised to fix it, asking if they hired people who didn’t know what they were
doing as a matter of district policy.

The calls stopped.

Then there was the Pizzeria in the Fie Towns area of Nassau County whose number
was on digit off from my folks (not their lead number, but one down the rotary).
May folks had been getting calls for Pizza until 1 AM some days and they'd asked
the Pizzeria to change their number but they absolutely refused.

So after my Dad answered a couple of these as we sat around the table at night
and he explained what was going on -- I started answering the phone first.

I carefully took the order for Pizza and the address and phone of the caller,
and then promised "Delivery in 20 minutes or its Free." My Dad thought that was
terrible, but Mom and my Grandmother were highly amused.

Within a month -- the calls ceased.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie