[Magdalen] Marching through Georgia

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 22:08:15 UTC 2014

On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 4:54 PM, Cantor03--- via Magdalen
<magdalen at herberthouse.org> wrote:
> Atlanta, besides being the city with the fastest average freeway  driving,
> is home to the Coca-Cola Company.

Phoenix seemed like a very fast-driving city when I arrived there in
the early 1980s, helping someone move by driving her car full of most
of her belongings while she started her new job in Phoenix.

Maybe it was the contrast between the interstate over the Continental
Divide, or more likely slower driving through northern Arizona, but
when I reached the Valley of the Sun, it seemed everyone hit the gas
pedal and you'd better do likewise and know where you're headed.

Suburbanites here in Chicagoland love to kvetch about "those crazy
Chicago drivers," but I find the driving here is mostly orderly and
predictable. Very little of the habitual tailgating and
left-lane-hogging I grew up with in Michigan. Bicyclists here in
Chicago, on the other hand, are another story. I'm glad I've only
contemplated and never acted on an impulse to put a foot to the frame
of a red-light-running biker's bike when they've just about run me
down.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA