[Magdalen] Magdalen] gas prices?

Don Boyd thedonboyd at austin.rr.com
Mon Oct 27 00:02:56 UTC 2014

My department head at my first teaching job frequently had to leave the
office to take his wife or their school-age son somewhere because she didn't
know how to drive.  He did all the grocery shopping, took all the washhing
to the laundromat, did everything that required driving.  (I don't know for
sure why he didn't drive her to and from the grocery store or the
laundromat, but I believe that the rationale was that one of them had to
stay with their son.)

One day I asked one of the other assistant profs how that situation came
about.  "Well," I was told, "after they first got married, Steve, who had
assumed that she had simply left her car at home while attending college,
learned that she actually didn't know how to drive.

"He set out to teach her.  After a basic orientation, he chose a straight
rural road with little or no traffic and had her practice starting and
stopping.  That went well enough, so he let her try steering the car.
Starting went fine, shifting went fine, and then things went all to hell.
She veered off the road toward a large pine tree.  'Watch out for that pine
tree," he shouted, 'Watch Out For That Pine Tree,"  'WATCH OUT FOR THAT DAMN
PINE T*****'  (crash).

"'You cursed me,' said the offended lady, and never ever again would sit
behind the steering wheel of that or any of their subsequently-owned cars."