[Magdalen] Designated Hitter

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Tue Oct 28 17:59:19 UTC 2014

From: Charles Wohlers

>OTOH, my mother was always a big Mets fan, even in the days of Marvelous Marv
>Throneberry.

The mother of friends my age who lived next door to us in Smithtown was personal
Secretary to Edgar Bronfman (of liquor and Prohibition fame) as in that
position, controlled tickets to the corporate box. We saw most Mets games for a
couple of years as a result -- even cutting school for afternoon games a few
times.

They divorced in 1965 and she and her kids moved away (a blended family -- they
each brought four kids to the marriage) so that was the end of our Mets
adventures, though some other friends of mine and I would buy tickets to
occasional double headers (so as to get our moneys worth).

Another great game was the double header with the Giants, that totaled 32
innings of baseball over nearly ten hours. We got our moneys worth out THAT one
for sure. The hapless Mets even made a Triple Play during the extra innings of
the second game. We got in some trouble, as we got home at 2 AM on a school
night (Memorial Day had been celebrated Friday that year). Dad was not happy
picking us up at the station, but he'd watched the games on TV and our late
arrival was not exactly unexpected.