[Magdalen] Computer Question.

Lynn Ronkainen ichthys89 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 29 20:10:21 UTC 2014

David Strang> I read sometime back about what schools like Harvard have been
doing
> to catch wholesale plagiarism   It must be a difficult time for  schools
> and instructors, especially of courses requiring some sort of essay.

These days there are commercial (and maybe free) programs that 'read' the
text of the submitted paper.  The school I was at had only some  professors
who were computer literate enough to do a more complex self-driven check,
but the several professors who ruthlessly pursued it could look at a
student's paper, pick out a few sentences that screamed: *this was
definitely not written by this student*, plug them into Google and voila!
the original source.

Lynn

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck

Thomas Merton writes, “People may spend their whole lives climbing the
ladder of success only to find, once they reach the top, that the ladder is
leaning against the wrong wall.”

"What you seek is seeking you." - Rumi