[Magdalen] medical terminology

Jon Egger revegger at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 23:16:42 UTC 2014

Yes, July 1st.

We night nurses would sit down with the new students and interns to let
them know that nurses are like elephants, we never forget.  And indeed, we
could make their time in our MICU as pleasant or miserable as they chose.
Don't disrespect us.  Don't treat us like morons.  Don't do anything with
our equipment without letting us know before hand.  I had one med student
try to put a foley catheter in someone and the patient let out a yelp.  I
went in the room and asked how old he was.  He said "22" and I replied
"Young man, I've been a critical care RN since you were in kindergarten."
He wanted to leave but I ask that he stay and watch me.  I explained
everything one step at a time and told him the the VA and KU have a good
system of learning: "Watch a procedure, do the procedure, then teach the
procedure."  The poor kid thanked me, and I said, "NOW, the next time I
need a foley inserted and you're working, I'll call you to insert it."

+++
Grace & peace,
jon