[Magdalen] medical terminology

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 23:45:02 UTC 2014

I walked into my patient's room in Cincinnati one morning and found a first
year resident and a med student about to sink a nasogastric tube in
him.......who was lying flat on his back. Oopsy! Smiling brightly (very
difficult for me, a confirmed night person, at 10 in the morning), I
stepped to the bedrail and hit the button, raising the head of the bed
quickly to a 90-degree angle. "I've found it goes down better this way," I
said, trying to sound humble, "and wouldn't you like some ice chips to help
you get it down?" They both looked relieved and let me put it down for
them...and I narrated the whole process, since they didn't seem to have a
clue. I wished they would have asked me in the first place, or at least
told me they were going to do it!