[Magdalen] community and the internet

Lynn Ronkainen ichthys89 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 10 20:13:00 PDT 2014

well said Grace

Lynn

----- Original Message -----

From: gracecan at gmail.com
To: magdalen at herberthouse.org
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 3:13:19 AM
Subject: Re: [Magdalen] community and the internet

Interesting timing, Marilyn, because this was actually the focus of my sermon last Sunday in connection with the Gospel. Jesus talks about taking grievances first to the individual, then with a witness from the church, then with several members, etc. I said Jesus was not talking about using email!
I've been putting out small fires caused by emails ever since I became interim five months ago, and two weeks ago there was a conflagration, and I'd had it. So I was already planning to address it in terms of its detrimental effect on the church, and I was delighted to see the Gospel passage!
But for at least the last five years, and especially in churches where I've spent any amount of time, email has caused greater or lesser disruption; some folks have even left over messages, especially messages that are sent out to the entire congregation or an entire committee.
Technology has provided us with so many ways to avoid actual face-to-face engagement, and as members of the Body of Christ we need to reclaim that engagement.

So, while email and FaceBook can, indeed build community--and this list is a good example of that--it can also destroy community--and at times this list has been a good example of that, as well.