[Magdalen] Pistorius Trial.

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 10:08:53 PDT 2014

Yes - the accents are very different. However, it seems to be accepted in
broadcasting and film media that Americans, in particular, struggle to
understand 'foreign' accents. On the first animated movie that Keith worked
on, Adventures in Zambezia, almost all the original South African cast had
to be replaced with American voices in order to have any hope of an
American release deal.

We did well out of it, with some great voices including Samuel L. Jackson,
but it pressed the budget past breaking point. So your experience, David,
is probably 'par for the course' in the USA.

Perhaps in countries like the UK, where regional accents vary extensively,
people just get used to following these different accents? To us as South
Africans Aussies and New Zealanders sound nothing like us, but when I first
went to the UK people would often enquire whether I came from Down Under,
or even from Canada.

I'm weary of the Oscar trial now but suspect we may not be done with it as
the State is not going to like this verdict. The Director of Public
Prosecutions has been in court which has me wondering if they're going to
appeal. I don't like the verdict myself because according to me if someone
loads a gun with that type of ammunition, they're already intending to kill
someone.

Sally D