[Magdalen] Pistorius Trial.

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 23:03:04 PDT 2014

The problem is he was found not guilty of murder "dolus eventualis"; only
on culpable homicide. That carries no minimum sentence, though Judge Masipa
does have the option of a heavy-ish jail sentence.  He knew what bullets he
had in the gun and in previous cases self defence hasn't been accepted as
an excuse when using Black Talon ammo that literally explode when they hit
flesh, hence Reeva's terrible wounds. So why cut Oscar slack when he used
them knowing what they do i.e. "zombie stopping"??

I disagree with her on the facts as well - firstly that "relationships are
unpredictable"- the work of Gottman and others says they are in fact highly
predictable, just as human behaviour can be predictable in general, though
not 100%. Also, that the accused's remorseful behaviour after the shooting
indicates that he did not intend to shoot her, or anyone else. That's
because according to me Oscar has a problem with impulsive acting out in
anger, act first and think afterwards. This could have been exacerbated by
his head injury of 2009 though no one who assessed him seems to have looked
into this properly (neuropsychological assessment etc). But whether or not
it was, there is no necessary connection between his intention on pulling
the trigger and his reaction on realising what he's done and what the
consequences are going to be for him. At which point according to me he did
lie and did so consistently, like a child or an adolescent who sticks to
his story.

Justice has not been done for Reeva and maybe the intense media interest
had something to do with that, causing the judge to be more sympathetic to
the accused as he unraveled in the glare of publicity. It's not going to be
a popular verdict in SA that's for sure, aside from a few die-hard Oscar
groupies.

Sally D