[Magdalen] just a note

Jon Egger revegger at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 15:14:48 PDT 2014

Listmates,

I have cut back my schedule to one service a Sunday due to my s
​arcoidosis issues.

Today a parishioner, also on the vestry, asked me what exactly sarcoidosis
is and what my prognosis is.  As I began to explain things to him, one of
the old curmudgeons rose to stand by me and placed his right hand on my
right shoulder as I spoke, and listened in.  I explained everything to
them, and how my prognosis was very poor.  The vestryman thanked me for the
information and thanked me for coming in to work as deacon as best as I
can.  The elderly gentleman said, "I wish you the best.  You're my deacon
and I love you."  That is so out of character for him, and it blew me
away.  All I could say was, "Thank you, xxx, I love you too."

I told Dawn, through tears, when I got home, about what had happened.  I
told her I was just doing my job and felt so unworthy of such love.   Dawn
told me that the parishioners there really love me.  (I tend to offer a nod
and a "Thank you; I'm simply doing my job" when people compliment me.)
It's not me, it's God, and to God be the glory, not me.

My question is, "What's an ordained person to do with such tender feelings
from those to whom they minister?"

​
+++
Grace & peace,