[Magdalen] Temporarily Lutheran

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 10:23:58 PDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 12:12 PM, Cantor03--- via Magdalen
<magdalen at herberthouse.org> wrote:
> Why don't you graduate to the "ad libitum" more florid Epistle
> Tone which can be found in the Liber?  It's much more fun.

We do use the fancier tone on just a couple of occasions (Christmas
and Easter, mainly). Unfortunately, the epistle on those days happens
to be very short. I think I've chanted the Titus one on Easter. Over
before it begins, almost!

The priests who serve as deacon tend to do their own thing...some
version of the simpler tone (where there's a drop on the fourth
syllable from the end of a sentence...the one who uses that puts the
drop one syllable later...WRONG! :) or an attempt at the fancier tone
(with the formula for the middle of a sentence, one for the end of a
sentence, one for questions, and a different one for the last sentence
in the pericope).

Here's a very good chanting of the Candlemas gospel from St Thomas',
Toronto, using the fancier chant (after the beautiful Alleluia).

http://youtu.be/WnTXNfmXq2g?t=22m47s

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA