[Magdalen] Temporarily Lutheran

James Oppenheimer oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 08:49:24 PDT 2014

Bach did a MARVELOUS job on the Wachet Auf cantata -- another of my
favorites.  However, the treatment he gives Luther's greatest hit is just
(literally:) amazing.  Not only is it contrapuntal within the voices, but
it plays in canon between the Baroque (gimme a heart attack please) Trumpet
and the basso. It's just so powerful.

And then he does a lyrical kind of 6/8 version for one verse.  I am
generally more interested in real early music, but in these cases, Bach
does a (literally:) spectacular job.

We had an annual gig to sing Christ Lag on Easter afternoon at Holy Cross
Monastery, but everybody got tired of it, so now we have a service of what
we call lessons and dirges.  I'm trying to get the group interested in
doing Ein' Feste for the local German church every year.  So far, no luck...

but as our former rector (now the new bishop's hitman) used to say, "We
live in hope..."

James W. Oppenheimer
on this Earth.”  -- *Roberto Clemente