[Magdalen] (SPAM: ?) Litany of British saints for use by those who want S...

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Sep 18 09:35:08 PDT 2014

In a message dated 9/18/2014 11:38:23 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jay.weigel at gmail.com writes:

At least  some of your ancestors sound like they might have come from the
reiving  clans on the Border, Kate.....>>>>
I have no known direct Scottish ancestry.

Thanks to my recent DNA analysis, I know for certain that 32% of
my ancestry is "Irish" - in this case Scotch(Scots)-Irish.  In  turn,
these people came from Scotland and from the northern border
English counties.  They were most certainly all Presbyterians,
about which I have mixed theological opinions.  Most of these
ancestors eventually became Methodists or Baptists secondary to
the inability of the Presbyterians with their daunting educational
requirements for clergy to supply the necessary ministers.

Thus, my direct Loyalist ancestors, banished to PEI in Canada,
are heavily Methodists with a few Presbyterians.  My great-great
grandfather (taken in by his paternal Aunt Mary after his father
was executed near Poughkeepsie, NY for Tory spying and on
orders of General Washington) became a wealthy merchant, and
gave the land for the first Presbyterian church in his PEI village,
and then eventually gave the land for the first Methodist church.

I still do hope the vote is "no".

David Strang.