[Magdalen] This saying No is tough

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Sep 22 10:50:11 PDT 2014

In a message dated 9/22/2014 1:21:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
scottknitter at gmail.com writes:

I have trouble saying No, to say the  least>>>>>

If one is willing and able for church related activities, there is no  end
to stuff that will be piled on until the breaking point is reached.

I can't help but feel that my kids and then wife were burned out by
church activities at Saint Christopher's (now Christ the King/TEC)  Church
during the four years we lived in Frankfurt/Main, Germany.  So  many
of the active members of that congregation were very short-termers
in Frankfurt that there naturally developed an over-reliance on the
long-termers (relatively speaking).

The kids were servers at the altar over and over to the point that it
was difficult to plan anything on weekends.  Ditto for my wife who  was
overly active in the altar guild.

Then there is the assumption that if a member is good at one  activity,
he/she will be good at all other activities --- Big mistake.

I was occupied in the music area of the parish, and eventually,
I was drafted into the position of chairman of the annual pledge
campaign at St. Christopher's --- a very  big misconception that taught
me to avoid fund-raising like the plague.  This is definitely not my  area
of
expertise.

David Strang.