[Magdalen] This saying No is tough

Lynn Ronkainen ichthys89 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 22 18:21:22 PDT 2014

A former deacon at one of the churches I attended long term in Houston, upon
being called as rector for the second time/second church, created a 3 tiered
program, using clever names I've now forgotten but they were additionally
numbered 101, 201 and 301  as part of their name.  The main concept being,
find the gifts you have and *are willing* to share with your parish. His
observation had been that too often we plug people into existing vacancies
because they have skills and talents, but what we might do instead is to
help people find out what they think they can contribute to a parish and
with the main goal being - where are your skills, talents calling you and
how can you use them here, and it might be something brand new to bring to
the parish.

I had the opportunity to participate in a modified version of his 101 class
as part of a guided retreat in connection with an EFM class I was mentoring
that he led.  It was and remains a great concept... OTOH, the concept alone
is a big sea change in some places, and the allure of plugging in 'new
blood' into the 'way we've always done it' has strong gravitational pull...
LOL

Lynn

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck

Thomas Merton writes, “People may spend their whole lives climbing the
ladder of success only to find, once they reach the top, that the ladder is
leaning against the wrong wall.”