[Magdalen] A stress removed

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sat Sep 27 10:54:42 PDT 2014

I'm hoping for the best for you, Jon.

I had relatively little contact with sarcoidosis  during my many  years
in dermatologic practice.  A few times, I made the initial  diagnosis by
showing sarcoid in a skin biopsy.  Most skin biopsies were  requested on
patients already with the diagnosis.  Though there is a wide  variety in
skin presentations, the classical is the scalloped edged papule or  papules.

There is not a lot of correlation between skin lesions and the  general
systemic effects of sarcoid, and I wasn't impressed by any treatment  for
skin sarcoid.

However, a number of patients with skin manifestations got marked
improvement with systemic steroids administered by their internist.   This
is not a treatment I would start for skin sarcoid.  In the end, the  side
effects of systemic steroids may present more systemic health  problems
than sarcoid itself.

David Strang.