[Magdalen] bulletin blooper

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 18:55:39 PDT 2014

One of my funniest KJV experiences came when I was helping a friend with the music for a midweek Lenten service in Moorefield, WV. It was one of those community Lenten series where a different church hosted and a different preacher preached each week. The overall theme was the healing stories of Jesus.

The Episcopal church was the host that week, and the preacher was from the Church of God of Cleveland, TN. His text was about the man who lay by the pool for 30-some years, wiring for someone to it him in the water.
So the preacher read from his Bible: "and there was by the pool a man who was impotent. [pronounced "im-POH'-tunt"].  He went on to explain that that meant he had a lot of things wrong with him!

Well, I was sitting on the organ bench, mercifully out of sight of the congregation, choking down laughter and not daring to look at my friend the priest.

The minute the service was over, I asked her if there was an old KJV bible in the church. She had been thinking the same thing, and we found one and looked up the story. Sure enough...that was exactly the word it used: "impotent"!