[Magdalen] bulletin blooper

James Oppenheimer oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 23:15:54 PDT 2014

I was very much impressed with the information it had.  It was a really
fantastic job, considering the West had only begun speaking the relevant
languages again for a fairly short time prior to that event.  Considering
the amount of theological advances since then, it's remarkable that it has
held on as long as it has.

The Douai Rheims boys did good too, for that matter.

Interesting how when I was born, the King Jimmy was THE Bible in our
church.

_God's Secretaries_ impressed me as a pretty even-handed job. I don't know
where I heard or read it, but I heard that the author is a fairly
conservative scholar.

When we were observing the centennial of the publication of the KJV, a
display was running around the country, and when it came to each town, they
encouraged the local experts to bring out whatever local resources they had
to supplement the exhibit.  The actual exhibit was a set of big cardboard
plaques with lots if interesting details about the KJV, and reproductions
of some paperwork from the companies that worked on the translation. That
was a great learning opportunity. The special collections dept. at Vassar
did a presentation on the various Bibles they have, which was something we
generally don't have the opportunity to see.

James W. Oppenheimer
on this Earth.”  -- *Roberto Clemente