[Magdalen] End of an Era.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Apr 3 14:05:15 UTC 2015

In a message dated 4/3/2015 9:40:00 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
gracecan at gmail.com writes:

However,  when I'm leading worship, I always
have the text in front of me, just in  case.>>>>

Yes, but even being so careful there will be mistakes.

I remember a senior monsignor during a hot, humid early evening
Mass in a non-airconditioned church go silent for a moment, and
then look down at the congregation with, "Did I do the consecration?"

There were whispered, "no's".

Turns out pages of the missal had stuck together in the humidity,
and he had turned two pages at the same time, totally missing
the consecration.

He back-tracked, of course, and read the missing pages out of
the Roman Missal.

But this brings up a question.  If he had not turned back to  correct
his accidental error, would the Mass be valid?

The way I look at it, the Mass WOULD be valid under the rule that  says
that if it is the intention of the Church to make Sacrifice", that is  what
happens.  A variation of the same rule applies when the  presider is
unworthy,
or personally has no intention of evoking the Eucharist.  The Liturgy  is
still valid.

YMMV.

David Strang.