[Magdalen] End of an Era.

Joseph Cirou romanos at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 3 16:12:59 UTC 2015

We were told in seminary (RC) to try to experience the Word being
proclaimed and to avoid reading the text unless you were hard of hearing or
the reader or acoustics were poor

However, I know what you mean, and, of course, agree with the necessity of
altar ministers to have the book very close. Also when I play in Episcopal
churches, I am among the few not reading the lessons from the folder. Being
the occasional Episcopalian, I have to check with the program and I still
don't know the Prayer after communion, tho I am ok with Penitential
Prayers. Where I have played most frequently they have a screen and
projector and I look at it because it is not obstrusive and there is
usually just an inspiring photo when no text is there.

On a similar topic were learned the hard way not to project hymns on the
screen and expect the congregation to sing in sync with a tape.

We had a very active Liberian congregation at one funeral.They really sang.
Unfortunately for the "wake" before the Eucharist they used the projected
texts and tape (they actually thought (the powers that be) that they were
not imposing on me by making me play for the wake. I directed the
congregation (sans orgue)  for "It Is Well with My Soul." and it was less
of train wreck than the previous hymns.

The parish administrator agreed not to do that again. Slava Bogu

Joe