[Magdalen] End of an Era.

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Fri Apr 3 19:26:46 UTC 2015

On 03/04/2015 19:00, Lynn Ronkainen wrote:
> Scott K> Well, there's the longtime priest who ran us off the rails at
> Evening
>> Prayer by saying the Nicene Creed by heart....too bad the rest of us
>> were
>> trying to say the Apostles' Creed.
>
> Ever since I came out of the desert and back to church in the late
> '70s I have read the creed. To me it is not a 'knowing a prayer by
> heart' situation, it is a statement  that I want to make and sometimes
> ponder while stating it, but I reach for the prayer book every time to
> read it, and if I'm BPBless, often just listen to it, as I do not
> 'know it by heart' any more.  Apostles too.

Back in my Methodist days a minister once said that he read the Lord's
Prayer as it helped him to pray it rather than simply reciting it by
rote.  Since then, of course, we have had various translations of it and
of the Creeds with the sort of subtle change that can catch the unwary
if you do try to say it from memory -,as can happen with hymns as well.

Roger