[Magdalen] Mass e-mails, was Test

sally.davies at gmail.com sally.davies at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 05:48:20 UTC 2015

Sympathy here too.

I've thought about this and conclude that the problem with churches is not
(entirely) the churches, but our expectations that these will be good
mothers, giving us good milk. Instead what we get is at best an average of
the emotional intelligence of the component people, at worst a
representation of the weakest emotional links. Aspects of self-awareness,
responsibility, empathy, a long view and so forth are sadly missing,
instead there is egocentricity, blaming out, self righteousness,
judgementalism and a general failure to think logically. None of that
matters too much if things are going well with the leadership but if
there's a problem there, it breaks out like infection in an
immune-compromised body.

As for the mass emails, and other forms of piling on, it raises some basic
questions for me... Such as, "Is there any way for this to end well? What
IS the end that you have in mind here?"

Scott, I can't say how much I admire the way you've chosen to walk
alongside your new Rector, not in unthinking support but out of grace and
charity. May God continue to guide you and give you wisdom in this tough
situation. Jesus promised to build his church, not as a defensive structure
but as an attack on the forces of Hell. So I reckon it's up to him, we just
need to get behind him and not behind the "mob".

I'd also abandon the thing entirely if I hadn't already discovered that I
can't survive spiritually without some kind of fellowship and without the
sacraments!!

Sally D