[Magdalen] Mass e-mails, was Test

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 11:38:36 UTC 2015

Thank you, Sally! I think what turns me off the most about the Save
Ascension group is when there's a lie, or a wrong and hurtful statement by
someone who couldn't know the truth from fiction because they're not even
here. I'm here, and I clearly don't know all there is to know: I was sure I
knew the junior warden was behind the Save Ascension mailings, but she
wasn't, at least not directly. Then it's disturbing not to know who's
writing and sending the stuff.

Jay's right that the rector hasn't handled things well. I could understand
the need to dismiss staff abruptly (and I can't quite imagine a more
gradual process being successful: "Hey, everyone...I'm going to let David
and Tom and Charley go in about six months, so let's get some goodbye
parties on the calendar to show our appreciation." Wouldn't fly any better,
methinks. But one would think it essential that he be ready to deal with
opposition at the annual meeting, and it was really embarrassing to see him
stand there mute, like a sheep before its shearers. The senior warden
jumped in to respond, whether out of wanting to end the awkward moment or
because he had agreed to do the speaking.

You think you can form a rather accurate impression of a rector candidate
through the interview process, but I guess no process would include how the
candidate would deal with such a moment (of being asked to respond to
pointed questions from angry parishioners in a big meeting). Either
handling such moments is a weak point for him (despite his very positive
reputation, well deserved, and expressed by many who know him well), or he
had resolved to say nothing, as to say anything could be seen as defensive
or apologetic.

The angry folks are of course rather loud about their complaints, and they
are doing their best to seem like a larger group than they are ("A great
many parishioners have said," meaning perhaps 10 percent of an average
Sunday Solemn Mass attendance?)

I would agree with legitimate complaints about one thing or another, but
not with piling complaints together into a strawman or conspiracy theory
(it's all part of a plan by the bishop to wreck yet another parish, or
something). I don't want the bishop or anyone wrecking parishes, and if I
actually observe that, I'll complain. But it seems contrary to the bishop's
own interest, let alone his job, to wreck parishes.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA