[Magdalen] Old photos

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Mon Apr 13 14:08:36 UTC 2015

From: Grace Cangialosi

I was struck by the difference in quality between the color and black and white
pictures; the color ones have all faded, while the black and white ones could
have been taken yesterday.

Black and White film is far more forgiving of not o good lenses in cameras and
the processing is pretty straightforward. Many drugstores contracted with camera
buffs to do developing and printing. I tried doing developing and printing B&W
back in Junior High School -- but decided (as I have with many such things that
seemed interesting during my lifetime <g>) that life was too short to devote
time to it.

I've taken many slides over the years -- mostly railroad-related stuff and some
record of my travels. My grandparents took thousands of slides, especially
during their 64 week tour of Europe in 1959-1960,  but also other trips. Aside
from several cartons of their slides, I'm the keeper of family photos going back
4-5 generations.

The Michigan relatives (including my grandparent's entire collection of travel
slides) are going to the Hop-Holland Archive in Holland Michigan (down the road
from Judy Fleener).If you have family collections of photos and slides from
Western Michigan, this might be a place to donate them. They're also getting
family letters and the like (including my Uncle Dyke's letters describing the
1927 revolution in China, and similar letters describing the 1949 revolution et
seq. when he stayed to handle American affairs after the rest of the U.S.
Diplomats were withdrawn (Aunt Frieda and his two children lived with us in NY
during this period)..

Back to film:

The dies used in color prints varied from processor to processor. It should be
remembered that film like Kodachrome have three layers and the dyes are added
for each layer during processing. Then the dies on the prints are another
process -- and the old "take it to the drugstore" method of getting pictures
developed could result is really poor processing at both levels. I think you'll
find that processing by Kodak (usually done by mail or through better-quality
camera stores (remember them?) would not have faded so much.

It should be noted that even Kodachrome processing deteriorated when they
switched to the Kodalux processing.

If one used Agfachrome, Dynachrome, Ektachrome or other types of film -- well,
that was really chancy and one can probably see (or in worst cases) not see the
result.

There were other efforts -- a company called Seattle Film Works sold movie film
(as used in Hollywood back in the day <g>( spooled into lengths suitable for 35
mm photos, and then distributed slides and prints -- but not the actual
negatives(!) and as an added option -- digital prints (in different sizes/dpi)
for a small extra fee. These varied in quality.

Finally -- it should be noted that if you have the negatives (or even slides)
that were slightly or somewhat underexposed, the great thing about digital
software is that you can fix these and get beautiful prints out of them. Over
exposed, not so much as some detail will have been lost.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie