[Magdalen] Emotionally shattered

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 14 23:01:18 UTC 2015

The past couple of days have really convinced me that I have strong
intravert characteristics.  I do enjoy meeting people, including listren
I have met in the past and may meeti in the future, but enough is
enough.  My eldest niece got married yesterday in a civil ceremony after
which I conducted a short blessing in the garden.  It was a grand
occasion and my son and daughter-in-law were there with their adopted
son and nearly-adopted daughter who turns 1 tomorrow. (Her blood brother
is 11 months older than she is so he will be 2 next month.)

A fair few of us were staying at the same hotel and when I wandered into
the bar early Sunday evening, thinking I would have a nice bar snack, I
found a group planning to go out for a meal so I joined them at a nearby
pub-restaurant.  Since I knew there was a decent pub in the area that I
wanted to try out I asked who fancied going there and was surprisedc to
find that Claire (the bride) knew of it having driven past it numerous
times when in the area with her work.  She also wanted to have a chat
with me so she, her (then still) fiance and one sister accompanied me to
a pub whose name might well descibe some clergy we may have met who are
too heavenly-minded to be any earthly use  - the Holy Inadequate.  The
beer was worth the trip and Claire and I walked back together for a
useful chat.

Yesterday after a (too big but I knew I would miss out on lunch)
breakfast we gathered in the lounge area before getting on the chartered
Routemaster bus to the wedding venue.  Earlier I had been acting as
unofficial information centre telling enquirers who I had seen and where
they had gone while my son and his family used my room to change in as
they had not yet been able to check in.

The weather was moderately kind - dry but cool - so we had the blessing
outside rather than in the converted barn where the legal marriage had
been solemnised.  Claire didn't realise how I could projust my voice
until I started :-)  Altogether it was a grand occasion but | realized
afterwards that I had been engaged in social interaction for most of the
day, even allowing for the fact that mu brother and I adjourned to the
bar for a relatively quiet drink or two once the speeches and the first
dance were over.

This morning my sister-in-law's brother, confusingly another Roger,
remarked that I looked rather wearied, which was an accurate comment.
It was not lack of sleep so much as the stress of so much social
interaction.  After the final farewells (including to a bride and groom
who looked a lot better than I reckon they had any right to look) I was
glad to hit the road to come home.

Roger