[Magdalen] Republicans push for a permanent aristocracy - The Washington ...

Ann Markle ann.markle at aya.yale.edu
Fri Apr 17 22:56:07 UTC 2015

My mother used to say that yes, the Kennedys were Irish, but they were
"lace curtain Irish" (as opposed to "shantytown Irish" -- talk about bias
within bias!).  But she always said that Joe Kennedy was a bootlegger (of
liquor), and that made him somehow beyond the pale, though I also believe
that she (yes, my saintly mother) spent a certain amount of time in
speakeasies as a young flapper-type.  Hey, I never claimed my beloved mom
wasn't a bit of a hypocrite.  But there would have been hell to pay if I
had ever realized/suggested it out loud!  Keep in mind that my grandmother
(her mother) was a DAR, so she carried all that baggage.  And also English,
"all the way back."  The Markles were a little crossed over -- English with
Dutch -- but the Beaches (my mother's people) -- English forever and only.

Ann

The Rev. Ann Markle
Buffalo, NY
ann.markle at aya.yale.edu