[Magdalen] Epiclesis.

Joseph Cirou romanos at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 20 03:02:23 UTC 2015

When I played the organ in the Greek Orthodox Church 20 years ago, the
people (even on Sunday) knelt for the Epiclesis but they called it the
Consecration--what the Roman Church calls the Words of Institution. During
the  Byzantine Epiclesis or Consecration the choir usually sings one of the
more mystical hymns of the Liturgy -sometimes more moving than the Cherubic
Hymn at the Great Entrance--We Praise Thee or Se hymnoumen.
A bride recently requested the Se hymnoumen for part of the Prelude Music
to her Wedding at our Greek Cathedral in Atlanta.

A good Armenian choir can make these even more profoundly mystical sounding

Joe Cirou