[Magdalen] "leaving church" was -->Re: Prayer request

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 18:46:05 UTC 2015

I've found this subject personally relevant and  interesting (where it's
gone beyond Molly's request) as last Sunday, I whiled away an hour after
church talking to a couple who were good friends at my 'former church (of 22
years)" - one of those rip roaring 'parking lot conversations'. They have
also, finally, decided to leave after 40 years.  We had a bit of a
reminiscence and a bit of a bitch session about the "amazing" stuff that has
occurred and continued to occur since January '06.  I had frankly hoped that
said 'new rector' had finally attracted enough new people to tip his balance
with those more attracted to his 'high church' ways, and his 1/3 page ad in
The Living Church, etc, etc, etc (apologies to Yule Brenner), but apparently
that has not happened, and recent developments, which we did not discuss,
have sent people jumping overboard in droves.  Is what it is. I was able to
talk, share, listen, sigh, tear-up, and finally part for my drive home,
without any feelings of deep sadness.  Time and life since then (on the
'other side' of MANY life changes since '06) have eased the divide.  I think
this priest will probably be there a long time, as his personality, shall we
say, may be a deterrent to search committees who might come calling.

sigh
Lynn
ps. in the Living Church photos, I realized he has completely replaced the
simple and meaningful wooden altar furnishings originally designed for this
church(very sentimental to this very contemporarily designed church
building) with ornately carved altar, pulpit, priest/assistant's chairs and
marble walkway up the aisle to altar area (elevated and formerly carpeted,
and now marble, which I understand a number of adult readers and LEMS have
slipped on and some fallen, since they were installed) and the very pricey,
very large Icons he had 'written' for behind the altar, hung at a 20'
elevation (I thought Icons were made to be looked at/into when using as a
prayer/meditation aid?) .

My email has changed to: houstonKLR at gmail.com

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck