[Magdalen] "leaving church" was -->Re: Prayer request

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Wed Apr 29 13:22:54 UTC 2015

From: Mahoney, W. Michael

>Vestries and Search Committees cannot win.  If their call turns out to be a
>disaster, it's all their fault.  If the call proves to be "just right",
i>t's the work of the Holy Spirit!

I think it's also true that in many -- if not most all -- cases, whoever takes
the call is going to irritate some folk, who will then act out, say, the first
time a maniple appears or as a dragon lady of one parish groused, "wears a hat
in procession." Others may hit the speed bump of "ruining" the parish by
"bringing in new people who'll surely ruin everything" or "he/she's making
changes!"

it's the same church politics that turn other people off. I think Marion and
Molly and Scott have all been discouraged by that sort of thing; I have too, for
that matter (having set myself up as a target by being on a search committee
that brought in a PIC that tried to make changes.  I simply "retired" at the
next election. The vultures then persuaded the bishop to remove the PIC.

Of course, the same crowd wasn't happy with the next PIC, either.

Cheers,
Jim