[Magdalen] "leaving church" was -->Re: Prayer request

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 14:32:06 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 8:22 AM, Jim Guthrie <jguthrie at pipeline.com> wrote:

> I think it's also true that in many -- if not most all -- cases, whoever
> takes the call is going to irritate some folk, who will then act out, say,
> the first time a maniple appears or as a dragon lady of one parish groused,
> "wears a hat in procession." Others may hit the speed bump of "ruining" the
> parish by "bringing in new people who'll surely ruin everything" or
> "he/she's making changes!"

Yes. Right now we've got an angry group watching every move of the "new"
rector to confirm their suspicion that he's the epitome of evil. And
suddenly there are comments about his involvement in the Society of
Catholic Priests (SCP): "That group scares me!" What? It's basically the
rebirth of Affirming Anglican Catholicism, a group promoting the idea that
being an Anglican Catholic neither requires opposition to ordaining women
nor requires having a closeted gay rector.

There seem to be some Anglo-Catholics (in our parish, at least) who are
really about protecting a particular Anglo-Catholic ethos and don't seem to
be able to tolerate a slightly different Anglo-Catholic ethos, one that is
most certainly Catholic but isn't the same in every minor respect as the
amber-haloed ethos one remembers and prefers. Never mind Catholic vs.
Protestant!

It's created a very sharp and IMO very unnecessary division. That's the
epitome of evil, IMVHO.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA