[Magdalen] How do you buy a stove?

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Aug 3 02:34:47 UTC 2015

In a message dated 8/2/2015 10:25:18 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jay.weigel at gmail.com writes:

Given a  choice, I would have quartz, recycled glass, or concrete counters.
I'll  settle for Corian. No granite for me! The recycled glass would
actually be  my first choice, but it is hella expensive. I've seen concrete
counters and  they are actually pretty nice. I'd really like to have either
cork or  bamboo floors in the kitchen rather than this icky ceramic tile,
but that's  in the far future.>>>>>

It is interesting, and just a little amusing how the tastes for  domestic
decoration have changed through the years.  In the immediate  post
WW-2 period, the byword was carpeting, carpeting, and more carpeting.

When my childhood home was extensively remodeled in 1949, all but
the tile entrance hallway and most of the kitchen were carpeted.   The
hallway and the kitchen were tiled with those little tan/brown tiles. For
some
reason, the breakfast nook was carpeted.

My mother, who directed the remodeling, covered over all the oak  hardwood
floors in the rest of the house with Brown & Biglow grey wool  carpeting,
and she loved it to her dying day in 1998.  She cared for it, and  it
did hold up well all those years.

In the 1940's there were no granite countertops, of course.

Nowadays all the good places for sale have complete hardwood floors
and granite table tops.  The latter has been a boon for granite  centers
like Saint Cloud, MN and Wausau, WI.

I have tile floors pretty much everywhere where I live.  It's better  with
the
dogs.

David Strang.