[Magdalen] How do you buy a stove?

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Aug 3 19:28:47 UTC 2015

In a message dated 8/3/2015 2:35:38 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jay.weigel at gmail.com writes:

I have  since seen how
local Amish and Mennonite women actually move wood stoves  outdoors for
canning in hot weather. Seems very reasonable to me if one is  going to be
canning vast amounts in miserably warm  weather!>>>>>

Some friends back in West Central Wisconsin ran the cooking school
associated with the county vocational school.  They were what I  would
call "professional Norwegians", and there was a semester course at
that vocational school that dealt with Scandinavian Christmas  cookies.

They lived on a dairy farm with a series of kitchen buildings  attached
to the main house at the back.  They used them to produce  prodigious
numbers of Christmas cookies.  My mother, a sort of professional
Norwegian herself toured these kitchens once, and was dumbfounded
at the display.

So the kitchens were in use primarily during the cold weather there.

David Strang.