[Magdalen] Political stance

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Mon Aug 3 08:09:25 UTC 2015

On 03/08/2015 04:51, AT&T wrote:
> In the current political climate in the United States, i find myself drawn to extremism toward the left. I'm not sure things is healthy.

I can understand any reasonable person reacting against the comments of
politicians seeking to boost their conservative credentials and so
appeal to the Tea Party voters.  Such a reaction is likely to veer in
the opposite direction, to the more outspoken politicians of the left.

I think I would go further than Jin and say that things are certainly
not healthy.  Elections are determined by those of us nearer to the
centre of the political spectrum rather than the party faithful who
select the candidate.  The candidate needs to be able to appeal to the
swing voter who is not committed to any particular party if they are to
be elected (unless they are in a deep red or deep blue constituency).

A healthy democracy requires a credible alternative to those currently
in power, politicians putting forth views that are appealing enough to
be electable. This side of the pond we had a period in the 80's when
Labour was unelectable followed, after a time when both major parties
were credible, by another period when the Conservatives veered to the right.

Cirrently the Labour Party is seeking a new Leader.  There is a field of
four candidates, one of them quite inexperienced in Parliamentary
politics (she was first elected in 2010) while constituency parties and
trades unions seem to be backing a left-winger (jeremy Corbyn) who is
not backed by many in the Parliamentary Party.

The actual decision wiull be taken on the basis of one member, one
single transferable vote.  For the reasons cited above I hope Mr Corbyn
is not victorious, and that if he is he stands down before the 2015
General Election.  By then he will be very nearly 71 (his birthday is
about 3 weeks later) and I don't think he would be seen as a credible
Prime Minister for that reason as well as his political views.

Roger