[Magdalen] How do you buy a stove?

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 15:28:39 UTC 2015

I grew up in a home where we did our serious cooking on an oil stove (a
converted coal-burner). It cooked great once you learned to use it. But it
was capable of doing nasty unsafe things to the air. There are many reasons
for today's extended lifespans, but food safety is way up there.

Worried about bromides? Consider feeding your toddlers sitting in their
high chairs five feet from a carcinogen-emitting heat source.

A friend visited Mount Vernon and noticed the kitchen was in a separate
building. Did the residents find the aromas of cooking so unpleasant they
had to take the kitchen out of the house? he wondered. More likely that
kitchens were hot and dangerous places that caught fire more than once in
each person's lifetime.
-M