[Magdalen] What We Believe - St. Paul's Bellingham

Ann Markle ann.markle at aya.yale.edu
Wed Aug 5 21:41:07 UTC 2015

Sorry, Jim -- I forgot your question in my dudgeon over your incorrect
phrase "setting aside the scriptures."  You say we do it all the time.  I
say, who is "we?"  The Episcopal Church does not.  Perhaps you do and some
other "we" you have in mind do, as well.  But not TEC.  Nevertheless, do I
say the scriptural teachings on homosexuality are the truth?  My Answer:  I
think we dismiss the "truthfulness" or not of scripture at our own peril.
Can the scriptural teachings/citations be interpreted in such a way as not
to condemn homosexuality?  Yes.  We need not set them aside, if we
understand them correctly.  I believe the bible says NOTHING about
homosexuality as we understand it today.  And certainly Jesus does not.  So
are the scriptures "true?"  Yes, if properly studied, interpreted, and
understood -- with the qualifier that there are no scriptural teachings on
homosexuality as we understand it today.  Your question is like asking if
the scriptural teachings on automobiles or the internet are "true."  And as
far as I'm concerned, "reason" doesn't permit us to dismiss Holy Scripture,
but to understand it more fully as regards contemporary issues.

Ann

The Rev. Ann Markle
Buffalo, NY
ann.markle at aya.yale.edu