[Magdalen] What We Believe - St. Paul's Bellingham

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Wed Aug 5 21:49:11 UTC 2015

On 05/08/2015 22:41, Ann Markle wrote:
> Sorry, Jim -- I forgot your question in my dudgeon over your incorrect
> phrase "setting aside the scriptures."  You say we do it all the time.  I
> say, who is "we?"  The Episcopal Church does not.  Perhaps you do and some
> other "we" you have in mind do, as well.  But not TEC.  Nevertheless, do I
> say the scriptural teachings on homosexuality are the truth?  My Answer:  I
> think we dismiss the "truthfulness" or not of scripture at our own peril.
> Can the scriptural teachings/citations be interpreted in such a way as not
> to condemn homosexuality?  Yes.  We need not set them aside, if we
> understand them correctly.  I believe the bible says NOTHING about
> homosexuality as we understand it today.

The same response applies equally to the other hot-button issue that
will come up at the RC Synod on the Family in October - marriage and
divorce.  We need to try to look at Scripture in the context in which it
was written.  Then we discern the message it seeks to convey.  Finally
we seek to apply that teaching to our own context. Simplistic
proof-texting does nobody any favours, let alone Scripture itself with
its internal inconsistencies which some literalists deny exist.

Roger