[Magdalen] News

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 16:00:16 UTC 2015

I was beginning to enjoy the end-of-workshop celebration. The beer was not
too awful; the conversation was really great (we shared war stories about
watching our parents die, which actually, for those who have been through
it and have perspective, can be full of beautiful memories and great
humor), and -- the barbequed chicken, fresh off the grill, sizzling just
outside!

I thought I think I will have some more beer and some of that awesome
barbecued chicken, and didn't take notice of the drop in the floor level
until I started falling.

I slammed down on my knee so hard I am told the building shook. "Oh
scheisser!  I've broken my ferschlugginner knee!"

People gathered and gently ministered to me.  "Can you EX-TEND that knee?"
asked a lovely lady who turned out to be a doctor ("But I'm only a
pediatrician!" she apologized -- hey, whadaya mean by that? My niece is a
pediatrician!). I could.

They helped we stand up.  they gently asked if I could use another beer.
Oh, please, yes.

They fussed over little old geezer me, and a couple of dazzlingly beautiful
young ladies later on helped me walk to the car waiting to take me back to
my dorm room (thank you, Niccolo!)

It took me falling and thinking I broke my leg to get people to show they
are ready to help when needed.

I think that if you tell your friends your concern about getting an
authentic shampoo once in a while when you are recovering, one or two will
take you up on it, and if you didn't ask, they'ld never know.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford