[Magdalen] Incroyable

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Aug 11 18:08:47 UTC 2015

In a message dated 8/11/2015:

I just  don't understand it. Now if you had 19 kids, maybe you could
>>  overlook one. But really.....how many do they  have?

I understand overlooking in these very large families.

A relative on my maternal grandfather's side learned Norwegian
so that she could do a better job with genealogy which is complicated
in the Scandinavian countries by the variability of last names
(Peter's son = Peterson; Peter's daughter = Peterdatter).

In any case the relative discovered that my maternal great  grandfather
had been married twice, and there were 13 children with the first
wife, and then 10 with the second wife who was my great grandmother.

Additionally they were into reusing first names, such that my  grandfather,
Andrew, had a half-brother whose name was Andrew.  This family
attempted to farm the rocky soil in the Trondheim, Norway area, and
my grandfather's share of the family assets was one cow on one acre.

His life as a streetcar superintendent on the Duluth/Superior Transit
(MN/WI) was much nicer than it would have been on the banks of
the Nidaros.

And of course there is..........Moi, who wouldn't be here without his
leap of faith into the New World.

David Strang.