[Magdalen] Eating raw fish.

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 12:14:38 UTC 2015

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 2:04 AM, Allan Carr <allanc25 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Nevertheless, I eat sushi and sashimi quite regularly. The sushi chef we
> patronize is from Japan, is old fashioned, sneers at modern American sushi
> and sashimi, and is very expensive. I have trusted him for over three
> decades. He is a dying breed.

I wonder if he ever prepares the sort of ultra-fresh stuff that the
now-closed Japanese restaurant Heat, here in Chicago, used to serve:
their specialty was food that was still moving when served. Maybe I
shouldn't be surprised they closed. :) I think patrons were also
turned off a bit by their extensive list of etiquette rules, which
went far beyond the usual table manners. The owner/chef probably
wanted to educate Chicago palates and patrons to Japanese fine dining,
but between the moving food and the feeling that one might be
committing a terrible table offense by turning one's head in a
particular direction, I think it made for an overly stressful dining
experience. :)

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA