[Magdalen] Prayers: massive explosion in China

Charles Wohlers charles.wohlers at verizon.net
Sat Aug 15 23:24:28 UTC 2015

That chemical which reacts violently with water is calcium carbide, and the
product of the reaction is acetylene - which, to put it mildly, is
flammable.

I gather one problem is that China has no system of MSDS's (material safety
data sheets) which describe each chemical present and what hazards they
might entail. So the firefighters had no idea that calcium carbide was
there, unlike in the US.

Chad Wohlers
Woodbury, VT USA
chadwohl at satucket.com