[Magdalen] Dream On.

Georgia DuBose gdubose at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 00:34:51 UTC 2015

I've had the dream about not studying for the final, but it actually
happened. I had the date confused for my American history final. I
still managed a B when I showed up unprepared.

For European Intellectual History, I came to class to discover that
the final project for the course was also due a week earlier than I
thought. Fortunately, I had come 45 minutes earlier to sit around and
chat with the crowd that took that course. Everyone was putting their
papers together. I was quite upset. However, I had my calligraphy pens
and good paper with me, and I sat outside the class and wrote a
sonnet, more or less in the style of Dryden, whom we had discussed in
the class as representative of the Enlightenment, along with Pope. I
tossed in a few Enlightenment catchphrases, and dedicated it to
"Phyllida." I re-wrote it in calligraphy, and handed it in. I got an
A-.

I did this sort of thing 3 times in college. (I was a decent,
sometimes inspired, but very badly organized student.) I wrote a paper
for Medieval English Literature, with Mac Gatch (whom Don Boyd may
remember) the night before it was due. He gave me a B+ for writing
style, and a D- for content, averaging it to a C, and told me that my
glibness would be my downfall. I think he was probably easier on me
than he should have been because I used to babysit for him and
Georgie.

Anyway, I have had quite a few of those dreams, and you can see why.

Georgia