[Magdalen] Fwd: Breaking News Alert: Cancer has spread to brain, Jimmy Carter says

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 16:45:18 UTC 2015

Without knowing a lot more about the specifics that might be guiding these
treatment decisions, I don't think it is possible to offer an opinion,
whether it's a justifiable cost or not.

Not all radiation therapy is intended to cure, it can be part of a
palliative management plan - bearing in mind that palliation does not mean
"do nothing except pain control". Palliation is about maximising quality of
life, and sometimes that means doing more, sometimes less, and always with
specific medical and personal needs in mind.

If the tumour is slow growing and not in a particularly vital area of the
brain, then why not treat it? Surely we would not wish to say that someone
at a given age automatically has less value to his or her life, that would
make it not worth extending? I can think of plenty of much younger people
whose lives IMNSHO are not worth further extension, if it comes to that :-)

These are difficult matters and I'm the last person to argue for heroic
treatments when these offer little clinical hope or improvement, but I also
think that despite his willingness to "go public" with his treatment plan,
President Carter has the right to use his medical benefits as he and
presumably his family see fit. Like anyone else whose treatment is not
subject to public interest.

I pray for him that whatever time he has left will be spent as he prefers
and that those close to him will know comfort in their pain and impending
loss. As well as all who love him around the world, many of them in our
part of the world for his contributions here.

Sally D