[Magdalen] The ancient of days?

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue Aug 25 00:09:56 UTC 2015

What stage has someone reached when your child wants a reassuring call
that you have arrived home safe and sound after a trip?  Does that
constitute recognition as a vulnerable elder?

My son wanted that reassurance after a 500 mile round trip yesterday and
today for an important family gathering to mark the completion of his
nuclear family.  It was a good day, until the journey home which was a
pig not helped by the weather - heavy rain which may have contributed to
an accident which delayed me a bit and certainly caused the flood we had
to skirt round.  Both of these were after another delat caused by a
broken-down bus.

That aside I suspect the earlier and happier memories are what will
abide with me, including a civilised talk with my ex in the sun before
our son arrived with his wife, children and mother-in-law with her
partner.  We were there for what was called a celebration hearing, which
was not really a hearing as the judge had determined the case last week,
as the certificate testifies.

The only formal bit was handing over the certificate that Jon and Cath
have officially adopted Erin, but that came after a lot of chat, talking
to Erin and giving her a Congratulations card.  Jon and Cath's family is
now complete having adopted Erin's full-blood brother Ollie last year.
This was a rare occasion for all concerned as few babies without other
issues are adopted now.

If the natural parents can't cope for whatever reason most are placed
with another member of the family but this was not an option for them.
It was the first time that the children's social worker had placed
children for adoption, and his last duty working for the local authority
before he becomes a supply social worker.  It is also about the only
occasion you can take a camera into court in this country so we could
take pictures before returning to the house for refreshments and the
arrival of other mums with their children.

A happy day.

Roger