[Magdalen] Piazza Martin Lutero.

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Tue Aug 25 05:14:44 UTC 2015

On 8/24/15 11:32 PM, James Oppenheimer-Crawford wrote:
> And then there's Andy Greeley, God be good to him. I'm sure he approved of
> some of Luther's work. Paul Moore said he was sure Greeley was actually an
> Episcopalian. I would LOVE to have had a chance to hear what Greeley would
> have said about that.  I wrote to him once, and got a thoughtful reply. The
> poor apparatchiks in the RCC had no clue what to do with Andy. Maybe it's
> not such a bad thing; his books are some of the best spiritual writing I've
> ever read.

When we had our OC Convention at Techny, at the former Seminary, now a
Convention Center, one of the people who worked there, an old Chicago
Catholic, told me just in conversation that she'd heard that he wanted
to be a parish priest, and he'd been offered a parish in Chicago on the
condition that he stop writing books.  As we know, he didn't stop
writing until he was in no shape to write, and at that point he wasn't
in shape to wrestle a parish, either.  Of course, the story may be
apocryphal.

> Get a copy of his delightful short stories in the volume entitled _All
> About Women_.

Love the one about Mrs. Mary Carpenter and the Bishop.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net