[Magdalen] Piazza Martin Lutero.

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 04:32:07 UTC 2015

I was at a choir retreat in Berchtesgaden back when Jack Davis was doing
the Protestant session. I stayed for the RCC session the following week. It
was very different. I was chatting with a priest during a break and Martin
Luther came up. The priest obviously thought quite highly of him, said he
was right about most of the things to which he objected.  However, after
that, my companion added, things got even worse! Interesting fellow.

Luther seems to have had some in the RCC who were favorable for some time.

And then there's Andy Greeley, God be good to him. I'm sure he approved of
some of Luther's work. Paul Moore said he was sure Greeley was actually an
Episcopalian. I would LOVE to have had a chance to hear what Greeley would
have said about that.  I wrote to him once, and got a thoughtful reply. The
poor apparatchiks in the RCC had no clue what to do with Andy. Maybe it's
not such a bad thing; his books are some of the best spiritual writing I've
ever read.

Get a copy of his delightful short stories in the volume entitled _All
About Women_.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford