[Magdalen] Bye-Bye Blue Beech

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Aug 27 16:48:19 UTC 2015

I always hate cutting a tree I've planted, but today I had removed
my two Blue Beech trees (Carpinus carolinica because they had
gotten too large, and were affecting two other prize trees - a
Dawn Redwood (Metasequoia glyptostroboides) and the largest
of several Alaska Cedars (Cupressus nootkatensis).

The Blue Beeches are really related to the Birch family and not
to true beeches.  Together with another Birch family relative,
the Hophornbeam (Ostrya virginiana) they are also called
"Ironwoods" because of their extremely hard wood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpinus_caroliniana

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostrya_virginiana

David Strang.