[Magdalen] Bye-Bye Blue Beech

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 17:15:25 UTC 2015

IIRC, there is some other kind of tree known as "ironwood" that is (maybe)
South American and is hard as the dickens. The wood stinks when cut and the
sap can be irritating. My late ex's former employer used shipping crates
made of this stuff, and as a result, we had some things made of it, as he'd
managed to secure a few of the crates for personal use. The wood lasts
practically forever. He built a workshop from one very large crate that he
had hauled to the first house we owned, and it's still standing unscathed.
I found that the sawdust made a dandy insect repellent when scattered
lightly about my garden, too.