[Magdalen] Please pray for Ascension, Chicago

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Mon Aug 31 17:28:58 UTC 2015

On 31/08/2015 16:22, Scott Knitter wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 9:42 AM, Ann Markle <ann.markle at aya.yale.edu> wrote:
>> I will surely add Ascension to my prayers, and am sorry for the turmoil
>> this causes, especially for you.  I'll admit, I'm ambivalent about them
>> publishing this "special notice."  On the one hand, I think the
>> transparency is good; on the other, it seems like dragging the entire
>> parish through what seems like an internal "political" battle.
> The Special Notice was published on the Facebook site and then I was
> asked to copy it over to the website's front page. One reason for this
> is so that the general public could get this news as easily as they've
> been getting the opposing side's views via a Save Ascension weekly
> e-newsletter and Facebook page.

I think that was a sensible move. There is no point in pretending that
all is sweetness and light when it isn't - in fact that is being
hypocritical.  Bring the dispute into the open so it can be addressed
openly.  The Recor was called because he was thought to be the best fit
for what the parish said it wanted.  He is the spiritual leader of the
parish.  If some other leader feels they cannot work with him then the
Bible says we should seek reconciliation.

Did the Junior Warden do that?  Is the "Save Ascewnsion" group prepared
to engage in meaningful discussions?  I just hope that, bearing in mind
the shennanigans surrounding the diocese's involvement in the early
stages of the search for a Rector, the bishop and his staff are not
being brought into play by the malcontents.  I have experience of that,
and iut is not nice.

Prayers for cool heads and a Christian approach from all parties. As the
Curate wrote for your website a few weeks ago

"God's way is not always easy, and may often seem counter-intuitive. It
may be difficult, and it may feel like a slap in the face.
"But we have to remember that God chose the way of the cross. And we
also have to remember that the story didn't end there."

Roger